For more information and Apply
M-2009 – PHD STUDENT IN THE FIELD OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY / ELECTROCHEMISTRY
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is seeking to recruit a PhD student to work on the synthesis of copper/carbons materials for the development of High Ampacity composites. This project is a follow-up of a finishing industrial project that successfully set-up, among other, an innovative synthesis method of such materials into standard electrolytic aqueous media.
Copper possesses quite high electro- and heat conductivities and is therefore leading many applications such as electronics, electrical household equipments, transport and aeronautics. Nevertheless, the change in energy systems and the overall technology progress generate a need for improving the copper physical properties. This means the development of new copper-based composites based on the use of nanofabrication.
We are looking for a Master Student who is expected to strongly contribute to this project through the development and the optimisation of new Copper – Carbon Nanostructure architectures for high ampacity composites. By using different fabrication techniques such as nanospray and electrodeposition, the first objective will be the fabrication of strongly bonded Co-C using a multilayers approach. The second objective will be the development of specific characterization protocols to identify the interfacial enhancer which impact the electrical functional properties. The PhD student will actively contribute to the fabrication of different Copper-Carbon structures with specific functionalisation steps to provide a composite with a high ampacity. One of the main challenges will be to design the experiments in order to improve the understanding and the modelling of the electrical conductivity in such complex structures. He/she will have to assess the best technological configuration and the related understandings to provide in the end a demonstrator to be tested in real conditions in a view of aeronautics application.
The work will be conducted in the framework of a large industrial R&D collaboration between a middle size Luxembourgish company and LIST. The candidate will be located at LIST (Belvaux) and will have regular contacts with the company.
MUST HAVE REQUIREMENTS
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- You hold a Master of Science degree with proven theoretical and practical skills in materials chemistry and interface engineering, combined to a proven hands on experience in materials chemistry and/or electrochemistry, electroplating.
- You’re highly motivated to work with an industrial partner, and as for this, you can count on your strong communication and interpersonal skills. Additionally, your strengths are initiative, autonomy, result oriented and capacity to work in an interdisciplinary environment and team.
- You have a good experience with structural and chemical characterization using state-of-the art techniques (SEM, DRX, XPS, etc.). -Knowledge in system engineering and multiscale modelling of soft matter are considered as an asset;
- Good level of English is a must, good knowledge of French and/or German is an asset
Your LIST benefits
- An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
- Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
- Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
- 32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
PhD additional conditions:
- Supervisor at LIST: Dr Damien LENOBLE
- Co-supervision at LIST: Dr. Didier ARL
- Work location: Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), Belvaux, Luxembourg
- Candidates shall be available for starting their position in autumn 2021. Please note the universities costs are at the charge of the student.
To be considered for this position it is crucial that you have knowledge of the following languages
The following languages are optional but are considered a plus.
There are no reviews yet.