For more information and Apply
M-2123 -POST-DOCTORAL POSITION FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF NEW LIGHTNING STRIKES PROTECTIONS IN AIRPLANES
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is seeking to recruit a two years postdoctoral position to work on the electrochemical synthesis of copper/carbons materials for the development of new and sustainable lightning strike protections (LSP). This project is a follow-up of a finishing industrial project that highlighted new interesting/promising LSPs properties of such materials. Current LSPs in airplanes are mainly relying on copper meshes integrated into the composite structures. The development of lighter LSPs would for example contribute to decrease the fuel consumption of airplanes.
The work will be conducted in the framework of a large industrial R&D collaboration between a middle size Luxembourgish company and LIST. The candidate will be located at LIST (Belvaux) and will have regular contacts with the company. He will address the electrochemical fabrication of the samples (electroplating) and their physico-chemical characterizations to understand the link between the electrical/LSP properties and the structure of the copper/carbons materials. LSP properties will be investigated thanks to a collaboration with French ONERA experts.
The topics of this work is very close to the ones related to other published job offers (two PhD positions and two post-doctoral positions). The candidate will therefore benefit from strong cross-fertilizing interactions between those candidates.
MUST HAVE REQUIREMENTS
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- You hold a PhD degree with demonstrated theoretical and practical knowledge in Materials science and electrochemistry (electroplating).
- Proven hands on experience in materials chemistry and/or electroplating;
- Good experience with structural and chemical characterization using state-of-the art techniques (SEM, DRX, XPS, etc.)
- Experience in the upscaling of samples production by electroplating is a plus.
- High-level scientific and technological track record related to material chemistry and/or electroplating is a plus.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- The candidate should be motivated by working with an industrial partner;
- Collaborative skills, initiative, autonomy, result oriented and capacity to work in an interdisciplinary environment
- Good level of English is a must, good knowledge of French and/or German is an asset
Your LIST benefits
- An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
- Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
- Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
- 32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
To be considered for this position it is crucial that you have knowledge of the following languages
The following languages are optional but are considered a plus.