For more information and Apply
M-2008 – POST-DOCTORAL POSITION FOR NEW CURRENT COLLECTORS IN LI-ION BATTERIES
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is seeking to recruit a two years postdoctoral position to work on the electrochemical synthesis of copper/carbons materials for the development of new anodic current collectors for Li-ions batteries (LIB). This project is a follow-up of a finishing industrial project that successfully set-up, among other, an innovative synthesis method of such materials into standard electrolytic aqueous media.
Innovation in the field of anodic current collectors is generally not featured while those electrochemically inactive elements are instrumental in LIB. Yet, the weight of such elements can represent up to 8% of the total weight which is not negligible in the overall gravimetric density of a LIB. It is therefore of interest to explore the development of lighter current collectors with equal/improved mechanical and electrical properties. The work to be done will tackle the electrochemical fabrication of copper/carbons materials as well as the characterization of their physico-chemical (SEM, FTIR, XPS, DRX etc.), mechanical and electrical properties. Recent works highlighted the important role of such current collectors on the anodic slurries’ adhesion or the interest of a micro/nano texturation of such current collectors to reduce/cancel the metallic lithium dendritic growth. Electrochemical characterizations will evaluate how the newly fabricated copper/carbons materials behave towards those specific properties.
The work will be conducted in the framework of a large industrial R&D collaboration between a middle size Luxembourgish company and LIST. The candidate will work at LIST (Belvaux) and will have regular contacts with the company.
The topics of this work is very close to the ones related to other published job offers (two PhD positions and two post-doctoral positions). The candidate will therefore benefit from a potential strong interaction between those candidates.
MUST HAVE REQUIREMENTS
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- You hold a PhD degree with demonstrated theoretical and practical knowledge in Materials science, Materials chemistry and electrochemistry (LIB characterizations)
- Proven hands on experience in materials chemistry and/or LIB characterizations and/or electroplating.
- Good experience with structural and chemical characterization using state-of-the art techniques (SEM, DRX, XPS, etc.).
- Experience in mechanical characterizations of materials is a plus.
- High-level scientific and technological track record related to material chemistry, LIB and/or electroplating is a plus.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- The candidate should be motivated by working with an industrial partner.
- Collaborative skills, initiative, autonomy, result oriented and capacity to work in an interdisciplinary environment
- Good level of English is a must, good knowledge of French and/or German is an asset
Your LIST benefits
- An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
- Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
- Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
- 32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
To be considered for this position it is crucial that you have knowledge of the following languages
The following languages are optional but are considered a plus.